What is Zero ?
Zero is symbolized
by 0 and has several meanings. The number which does not change
anything when you add it to another number. On the number line it
lies mid way between -1 and + 1. It is the value of a set which
has no members. The symbol for zero is 0.
- It is the starting point for many scales, such as temperature
in degrees Celsius, where it corresponds to the freezing point
- It is a place holder in our number system enabling us, for
example, to distinguish between 4, 40, and 0.0004
- The diagonals bisect the interior angles and are lines of symmetry.
- The number which we can add to anything without changing it
(i.e the additive identity).
- The number which is unchanged by multiplication by other numbers.
- Zero is both real and rational.
- It is the name given to the identity element under addition
for numbers, vectors and matrices. For example,